Ironman Canada Goals

Here are my goals for Ironman Canada. I'm putting them on the blog so that everyday I'll be reminded of what I'm working toward.

Swim-1:00:00 T1-:4:00 Bike-5:30:00 T2-:4:00 Run-3:30:00

Total - 10:08:00


How to achieve world class fitness!!

Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports.
~Greg Glassman

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Today I did a crossfit strength workout and a brick workout. The brick workout is something new to my training. I've done a few of them but I'm going to be doing them more often. The primary brick workout is the bike to run. I like to bike and I love to run so these should be fun to do.

So for crossfit I did max rep deadlift. Yes I know, I did that about 2 weeks ago but today had a twist. Doesn't everything about doing crossfit have a twist. I love it!! Here is what we did.

Body weight deadlift
Add 20 lbs every 2 minutes until failure
Then do max reps of body weight deadlift for 2 minutes

So my body weight is 175 lbs, but I started at 185 lbs, hey I'm an over achiever and it's just easier to set up the weights at 185 lbs, trust me! I then did the following sets every 2 minutes to failure. 185 lbs, 205 lbs, 225 lbs, 245 lbs, 265 lbs, 285 lbs, 305 lbs, 325 lbs. I then tried 335 lbs (only 10 lb increase) for a new max but I could only get it about 2" off the floor. I then reset my weights to 185 lbs and did 23 reps in 2 minutes.

Once I was finished blasting my legs and back I headed to a place called Juno Beach to ride and run. The wind today had to be at least 20-25 mph from offshore. Every time I would come to an opening in the brush along the road it would almost blow me over. It was brutal at times, especially when the condos were close the road causing a venturi effect. Here is my brick workout; bike :45 minutes, transition in less than 3 minutes, then run 30 minutes. Here are my distances and transition times.

Bike - 14.5 miles @ 18.4 mph
Trans - 2:18
Run - 4.25 @ 6:59 pace

I felt very good for both the bike and run. These workouts are designed to be done using a heart rate monitor so you can bike/run at a specific HR. I don't have a HR monitor so I'm looking at upgrading my Garmin 205 (no HR) to a Garmin 310xt (with HR). I'll keep you posted.

It was a good day!

1 comment:

  1. Reading your blog motivates me and makes me tired at the same time... lol!

    You're a machine! I don't know how you do it, but I like it :-)

    ReplyDelete

Free Hit Counter