Ironman Canada Goals

Here are my goals for Ironman Canada. I'm putting them on the blog so that everyday I'll be reminded of what I'm working toward.

Swim-1:00:00 T1-:4:00 Bike-5:30:00 T2-:4:00 Run-3:30:00

Total - 10:08:00


How to achieve world class fitness!!

Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports.
~Greg Glassman

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Nautica South Beach Triathlon

Today was the first triathlon of the year. This was a sprint triathlon of .5 mile swim, 19 mile bike and 4 mile run. The day was perfect! It was overcast with east winds of 10-15 mph and 78 degrees. The only down side was the waves in the Atlantic. It was probably 2-3 foot seas rolling into the beach. Sea temp of 76 degrees.

I got to the transition area early and set up my bike and gear. I then stood back and thought about the layout of my gear and decided to re-arrange it again. I probably did that about 3 different times before I was happy with my little area. Finally I grabbed my wetsuit and went to the pre race meeting. That meeting was at 0710 and my wave start wasn't until 0755 so I headed back to my hotel, which was very close by, to avoid the port-a-potties. Once back at the beach I had about a 15 minute wait for my start. I didn't do a swim warm up other than rotating my arms back and forth. Once the cannon, yes they had a cannon, went off I was moving for the water. The waves were breaking for the first 100 to 150 feet off the beach. Then it was just 2-3 foot waves. My reward for not warming up was that I didn't really get into my groove until about halfway down the swim course. The good news is that it wasn't very crowded so I didn't get kicked in the face or swam over. The worst of it was getting a few mouthfuls of water, but I survived and finally made the beach. Once at the beach we had to run 200 meters before the swim to run transition time started.

The first transition went pretty smooth. I need to work on a few things to help me get in and out of transition faster. I had water to spray the sand off my feet but didn't really need it since the run from the water had knocked most of it off. I had a little trouble with my wetsuit but not to much. I was worried the most about forgetting something I might need for the bike. Somehow I got out of there without forgetting anything.

The bike was awesome! The course was well laid out and the Miami PD did a great job controlling traffic. I had a 20.8 mph average and felt great the entire time. I actually think I could have rode harder. I was only passed by four people on the entire bike course. I caught all but one of them before the race ended.

The second transition went pretty smooth also. I got into my bike slot and put the bike away. I put on my running shoes and was starting to head out when I realized that I still had my helmet on. I quickly removed it and started out. I also had to take a pee break before getting out of transition, which cost me some more time.

The run was an out and back along the beach boardwalk. It's a small boardwalk and at some points it got a little crowded but not so bad that I ever had to slow down. Once again I felt great coming off the bike and was able to maintain a 6:28 pace for the entire run. I was lucky enough not to be passed by anyone on the run course. Running is my best event and I look forward to that point of the event. The finish line was on the beach with bleachers filled with spectators cheering and clapping. It was a quick, fast and very enjoyable race.

Times: Swim - 16:04, T1 - 2:20, Bike - 54:44, T2 - 2:45, Run - 25:54

Total time: 1:41:49 which gave me 11th in my age group and 70th overall male.

Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Hit Counter