Ironman Canada Goals

Here are my goals for Ironman Canada. I'm putting them on the blog so that everyday I'll be reminded of what I'm working toward.

Swim-1:00:00 T1-:4:00 Bike-5:30:00 T2-:4:00 Run-3:30:00

Total - 10:08:00


How to achieve world class fitness!!

Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports.
~Greg Glassman

Friday, July 9, 2010

Today I did my weekly long bike followed immediately by a short run. I wasn't able to depart early because my precious little girls spent the night with me. I met up with the Fat Frogs group at 0730 to start my day. I also did some nutrition experiments today on the bike. I tried to drink my nutrition instead of eating peanut butter and honey sandwiches, but I packed 1.5 peanut butter and honey sandwiches just in case. I rode with Fat Frogs for about 50 minutes before heading out on my own. The wind today was 15 mph out of the ENE and by the end of the ride that wind would be kicking my ass. I rode out to my new favorite place, Pungo Ferry Bridge, and did 5 crossing before venturing further out into Pungo. I did a 45 minute loop before making it back to the bridge. It was when I was out on the 45 minute loop that I ran out of liquid nutrition and energy. I then switched back to peanut butter and honey with energy gels mixed in. That seem to help, but the damage was already done and I was behind the nutrition power curve. Once back at the bridge I did 6 more crossings. When I'm crossing this bridge it's not just over stop, turn around, over stop. I actually ride about 2 miles when heading towards Blackwater rd and about 1/2 mile when heading towards Princess Anne Rd. The trip from Princess Anne to Blackwater rd and back takes about 18 minutes. When I had been out riding for 4 hours I finally started heading back for my car at Fat Frogs in Red Mill Commons. It took me every bit of 1 hour to make it back into that head wind and my legs where screaming at me. I arrived back after riding 5:00:05 and covering 92.7 miles. My average speed was 18.6 mph. Oh to have a day with no head winds...haha.

I then changed into my running shoes, grabbed my water belt and headed out on the road. The heat was brutal today and my time reflects it. I was only able to cover 5.66 miles in 45 minutes on the run. It was hot and I'm very glad that today was not my marathon day. It would have really sucked!!

I'm taking tomorrow off so I'll be back Sunday night with more exciting news. Thank you all for reading and supporting me in this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Hit Counter