Ironman Canada Goals

Here are my goals for Ironman Canada. I'm putting them on the blog so that everyday I'll be reminded of what I'm working toward.

Swim-1:00:00 T1-:4:00 Bike-5:30:00 T2-:4:00 Run-3:30:00

Total - 10:08:00


How to achieve world class fitness!!

Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports.
~Greg Glassman

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Louisville Ironman bike course

Today I was lucky enough to ride the Ironman bike course. I only rode 80 miles of the course since one 32 mile section is done twice. I have been told by a few people that the hills in Louisville are not that bad. Evidently these people were supermen because there are plenty of hills, some of them very big. The good news is that what goes up the hill slow comes back down fast. I was able to maintain a 17 mph average using my old Trek 2300 road bike. I'm still thinking that with a proper taper, zipp wheels, aero helmet and race day excitement I'll manage a 5:30:00 on the bike.

The roads where in pretty good shape and now I have first hand knowledge of what to expect. I'll drive the course a few more times before the actual race. I'm really looking forward to race day.

Have a good day!

1 comment:

  1. Just to put the bike in perspective, I did it in 2007 and managed 17.5 average. At that time, i was what i consider to be a weak biker. So don't worry too much on the average you had. Think of that ride as more of a recon.

    ReplyDelete

Free Hit Counter