Ironman Canada Goals

Here are my goals for Ironman Canada. I'm putting them on the blog so that everyday I'll be reminded of what I'm working toward.

Swim-1:00:00 T1-:4:00 Bike-5:30:00 T2-:4:00 Run-3:30:00

Total - 10:08:00


How to achieve world class fitness!!

Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports.
~Greg Glassman

Monday, May 31, 2010

Adventures in running

So yesterday I have a bike, run workout planned. The workout goes well enough, at least the bike portion goes ok. After riding for 1 hour and changing into my running gear I hear a distance rumble of thunder. However I'm determined not to let this north Florida weather keep me from my workouts. On a side note I'm also running with a new piece of gear. It's a water belt for running and I have no idea if I'll like it or hate it but I'm heading out for a 1+15 hour run to see.

The place that I found here to run has miles of mountain bike trails. Of course I don't have a map but why would that stop me! How big can it really be?? I jump off the road and onto a trail, in the distance I hear another rumble of thunder. Everything is going well up to about 40 minutes. By this time I'm following signs that say "trail run." It's a great trail and I've only had to double back a few times because it keeps taking me to a small stream that I'm just not ready to cross. In the meantime the thunder is getting louder and closer. I finally came out to a dirt road and decide that I needed to stop following the "trail run" signs. By this time the storm was in it's full fury. I ran about 5 minutes down the road and came to a T-intersection (by this point I was totally confident that I had no idea where I was). When I turned around to look back down the road I had just ran up I saw a sign on a tree. I thought great this will be something I can use. Here is what it said "Stalking area only, no hunting dogs". Great I distinctly remember seeing a sign when I started that said no hunting!! So I started back down the road and decided that I'd just keep following the "trail run" signs and hope that they don't take me on a 50K route. Once back on the trail with lightning, thunder and driving rain I came back to the stream again. This time I decided that it was time to cross. The stream was crystal clear and had a white sand bottom with small patches of trees. I took a few steps on the firm white sand and then on my third step my left leg sank all the way up to my hip. My right leg was still on firm ground and I was hanging onto a small tree for dear life. Luckily I was able to use all my crossfit squatting skills and executed a near perfect one legged squat to recover my missing left leg. Quick sand?? Really?? As if the thunderstorm wasn't enough!! Once safely on the other side I found another trail called "learner" and started heading down it. I finally started to hear cars between the thunder and realized that I was getting closer to the road. Just before I finished I ran into a mountain biker, the first person I had seen since leaving my car. He confirmed that I was on the right path back to my car. I finally reached the car after 1+10 hours of running. Just 5 minutes short of my goal. It was an adventure that I'd like to do again just minus the thunderstorm.

As for the running belt I mentioned earlier. I really liked it and think it will really come in handy on those long hot days of summer.

Have a great Memorial day!!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you told me about this adventure over the phone because reading it would have been TMI for this chickie of yours... Be careful out there!

    ReplyDelete

Free Hit Counter