Ironman Canada Goals

Here are my goals for Ironman Canada. I'm putting them on the blog so that everyday I'll be reminded of what I'm working toward.

Swim-1:00:00 T1-:4:00 Bike-5:30:00 T2-:4:00 Run-3:30:00

Total - 10:08:00


How to achieve world class fitness!!

Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports.
~Greg Glassman

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Brick day

Today I did my weekly brick workout. But before I get to that I should let you know that I've decided to check out www.markallenonline.com for some coaching. Just in case you don't know coach Mark is a six time Ironman world champion. Yes he won the Hawaii ironman six times! Anyway, I'm going to give his off season training plan a go for a few weeks and see how I like it. One thing that I have been reading about is the importance of using your heart rate as a measure of power. My magic number seems to be 140 bpm so for the next few months I'll be working out without going higher than 140 bpm to build a strong aerobic engine. The idea is that I'll get faster over time using the same HR. We'll see how it works.

So back to today's workout. I did a short bike followed by a short run. I'm racing this weekend so I didn't want to go that far. However, I did use a heart rate monitor for today's workout. I did 15 miles in 46 minutes and never let my heart rate get above 140 bpm for more than a few seconds. I'm not sure how that effected my bike but I'll keep track of my times and speeds while never getting my HR above 140 bpm. When I got off the bike and started my run I actually had to pick up the pace at first to get my HR up to 140 bpm. I did the 4.1 mile run in 31 minutes and my average HR was 139 bpm. That is a 7:33 minute mile. When I finished I felt great so maybe there really is something to HR training.

Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Hit Counter